- Future Exhibitions @ PAPERPAPER#15: Unstable Ground – 2 August – 13 September 2014Annabel Dover, Reece Jones, David Miles, Laura Oldfield-Ford, George Shaw, Stephen Walter, Lisa Wilkens, Simon Woolham.PAPER#16: The Functionality of Thought – 20 September – 1 November 2014Allan Bech, Jenny Core, Aly Helyer, Shinbo Hiroshi, Paraic Leahy, Sharon Leahy- Clark, Richard Meaghan, Hannah Wooll, Wen Wu.PAPER#17: Architectual PAPER - 8 November - 20 December 2014PAPER#18: Frances Disley - Solo Exhibition - 10 January - 21 February 2015PAPER#19: Lesley Guy & Dale Holmes - Totaller - 28 February - 11 April 2015
- Exhibition dates: 18th January 2014 – 1st March 2014Private View: Thursday 23rd January 2014Opening Times: 11am – 5pm every SaturdayPAPER will be kicking off the new year with the first solo exhibition by Rachel Wrigley. Rachel was selected for PAPER’s first Artist-in-Residence scheme Exploring PAPER in 2013. The 6-week residency encouraged Rachel to focus on her practice by exploring and interpreting ‘paper’ and ‘place’ in its widest context.Supported by the Arts Council of England, ‘Staring at the Artex Ceiling’ culminates the works that Rachel completed during and after her residency. Rachel’s work crosses the boundaries of drawing and sculpture, employing found imagery; she instigated these processes into her practice during her summer residency at PAPER. By embracing paper and its potential as a sculptural material she has applied paper-folding techniques to images to achieve a sense of illusion. Changing the usual forms expected from architecture and objects, Rachel hopes to provide a distorted version of reality, investigating space as a moveable, impermanent fixture.
- PAPER #9: – interim PAPERSarah Baker - Sara Davies - Anna Frew - Jan Fyfe - LOkesh Ghai Sarbjit Kaur - Ralph Mills - Liz Mitchell - Mary Stark - Howard Read - Tilo Reifenstein - Simon Woolham - Derek TrilloA research ‘reader’ will accompany this exhibition with a text by Laura GuyPAPER presents the work of thirteen individuals currently undertaking postgraduate research within MIRIAD, Manchester School of Art. Bringing together their diverse enquiries under the title ‘interim’ the exhibition describes a series of projects currently in progress.The gallery provides an intimate context as each exhibit locates a liminal space that is somewhere between thought and action, uncertainty and resolution, private study and public dissemination.
- PAPER #8: Rachel Wrigley - Exploring PAPER
- PAPER #7 'Performing Paper'PAPER Director Nicola Smith has selected works and invited artists to respond to the theme of Performing Paper. Live art and performance artists have rejected the art object in favor of using the body as material. Documentation of the performance can become another way for the work to exist, on a flat surface, beyond the act itself. This show mixes different artistic practices, which use a variety of performance actions such as reading, speaking, cutting, pushing, displaying, collecting, and mapping. All of these actions use paper as a point of departure.
- ___________________________________________________________________________________________PAPER #6Andrea Cotton and Naomi Lethbridge
- ___________________________________________________________________________________________PAPER #5 'COPY'An exhibition curated by Sarah Kate Wilson
- 15 artists have explored the medium of the photocopy to create new works. This is the first show where we have handed over the space to an artist to transform the gallery with their own unique take on 'paper'.
- Image gallery from the opening of COPY, Paper #5
- ___________________________________________________________________________________________PAPER #4Leanne Richardson & Lucy May Schofield
- PAPER will present the first of a series of two-person shows, starting with Leanne Richardson and Lucy May Schofield. For these two-person shows, PAPER will act as a incubator space, allowing an emerging artist their first exhibition or providing a more established artist, the opportunity to experiment.Lucy May has exhibited nationally and internationally for over ten years, and her work is held in a number of major collections including Tate and the Yale Centre for British Art. She has also undertaken commissions for The Wellcome Trust, The V&A Museum of Childhood, Whitstable Biennial and Manchester Central Library.Leanne has recently graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University. Since joining the gallery, Leanne has been working on this new series of works to be presented exclusively in PAPER #4.
- Image gallery from Paper #4_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
- PAPER #3Selling StudioPAPER #3 show will coincide with the annual Selling Open Studio at Mirabel Studios and the launch of a new project space ps Mirabel. New Paper artist Poppy Green will be creating an outdoor site-specific installation at the opening and will be showing original and printed works in the gallery. We will be showcasing Hole Edition prints by Simon Woolham, John Moores Prizewinner, Narbi Price, and Turner Prize nominee, George Shaw.
- PAPER #2:All Your Women Things6 October – 17 November 2012Fulya Çetin / Anna Puhakka / Amanda Spawforth / Miranda Whall / Sarah Kate Wilson / Dawn Woolley / Wen WuAll Your Women Things is PAPER’s second exhibition. The exhibition focuses upon a group of female artists whose work subverts items stereotypically associated with the feminine.
Open Studio and Paper launch
Paper will launch its new micro gallery with an exhibition of gallery artists. Focussing upon the notion of paper as a support, for the artists on show, the use of paper is integral to their practice. We have created a mix of emerging and mid-career artists, emphasising the dynamic between their multiple uses of this support in creating their art.
The date of our exhibition Paper #1 will coincide with Mirabel bi-annual open studio event.